The Super Bowl

The Super Bowl has turned into an event that is only slightly about football. If everyone is honest, it is a day centered almost entirely around food and commercials. That is unless, you actually pay for the outrageous tickets and get the see the game in person, where you will still be exposed to thousands of advertisements anyways. I know many die hard football fans might fight me on this...sorry Mr. Maxwell, but the truth of the matter is that a majority of the population could not care less about football, but instead get together with friends and family to eat and rate the quality of that years commercials, while reminiscing about the years past. It is crazy how much corporations are willing to pay for each and every extra second of time on air during this iconic event. Also I am positive hundreds of hours and plenty of effort goes into creating and perfecting the ultimate persuading commercial, in the least amount of time possible. If you asked me to name and describe as many commercials I have seen during the super bowl in my life, I could remember at least twelve on the spot and probably more if I spent some time brainstorming. Right now I am thinking about puppy monkey baby, a puppy getting lost and finding a horse, a little kid drowning in a bathtub (this one was very intense and emotional), the Gangnam Style pistachio one, the coke one where they "invented" halftime for a coke break, and many many more. All of this is just ridiculous to me.

Comments

  1. Each year, I also watch the super bowl, and each year I am in intrigued by the commercials. Somehow, the competition to see who can have the best commercial has become a super bowl tradition- that way the program has something for everyone. For a lot of people, the super bowl is no longer about the football- it's all about the commercials. So much fun, you almost forget these companies are trying to brainwash you into buying their product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it isn't just me who plays that game, it's honestly 90% of the reason I watch the super bowl, as I'm not that into football. The company's spend millions of dollars on ad spots and while they are hilarious, they also, like you said, brainwash us.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts