Merchants of Cool
After viewing this film, I certainly think I am a smarter consumer. Even though I have never been one to buy stuff just to fit in or be able to "flex" the brand, I realize now that that is exactly what big companies want. Feeding off of such a vulnerable group as teenagers is even more impressive. Companies put hundreds of hours and millions of dollars into understanding the teen mind, even though everyone was a teen once and should know what its like. It seems very ironic to me. We all know that every kid just wants to fit in at this age, except for those who want to stand out; the trendsetters. The problem is, by the time companies have found the next trend and started to exploit it, the trendy teens have already moved on. The point of being original is to be the select group doing it and if everyone starts doing it, especially if weirdo adult company people know about it, it automatically becomes the grossest thing ever. I try my best to be original, but it can be hard when it seems like every store is selling the same stuff. Because of this, I think it is awesome that thrift stores are becoming cool again. They have so many interesting clothes that are extremely cheap! I see stuff that I like, that I know no one else will be wearing, but that makes it even more fun and easy to create yourself as the image you want to be, not what you think will help you fit in. Honestly, it is 100% better and more fulfilling to stand out and be yourself, rather than following the crowd and succumbing to what the companies want you to be.

Comments
Post a Comment