$tickers!!!!
Something that I have recently noticed, is that when I order or buy a big brand product, it will usually have a sticker included with it. From a buyers perspective, this is awesome, because I get a cool free sticker to put on my water bottle or desk. From a companies perspective, this is free and perfect advertising. Somehow, it has become cool to cover everything you own in the stickers of your favorite, coolest, most hip brands. This is such a sneaky way to advertise, that I didn't even think of it until I was staring at my sticker covered water bottle trying to think of a blog post topic. With the pairing of a cool design and the right logo, I'll put any sticker on my bottle, just to fill up the space. Companies that I don't even necessarily buy products from have their sticker on my bottle because a friend gave me it. One of my friends, who is a great swimmer and loyal Jolyn customer once told me that the sticker is almost more exciting than the actual swimsuit. It was obviously a joke, but it was really funny to hear now that i think about why companies actually give out stickers. Even more astounding is that sometimes you can even buy packs of stickers! We are practically paying companies to advertise their product everywhere we go, something that they should be paying us to do! I suppose companies will be two steps ahead of us with their advertising techniques, most of the time at least.

This always amazes me too! Everywhere you go, you see people with t-shirts that have a huge logo on the front, essentially just advertising the product. Another way advertisements and consumerism has taken over the culture.
ReplyDeleteIt's really interesting that you decided to write a blog post about this, because it's been on the back of my mind too. It's weird, in class I'll see someone with a sticker covered HydroFlask and I'll 'judge' the person based on the stickers subconsciously. I'll associate the stickers with that person. I am not trying to consciously do it, but I subconsciously do it.
ReplyDelete